Saturday, July 05, 2014

Paris Adventures Day 1 + 2


My first day in Paris was perfect. 
Once I arrived, three hours late thanks to hurricane Arthur, I saw everything. My cousin (who I am staying with) and I walked everywhere "to keep the jet lag away" which definitely worked. First we visited L'arc de Triomphe, and hiked all 294 stairs to the very top. Paris from above is absolutely gorgeous, in every direction there is a different monument. After a speedy descent in the elevator we headed down Le Champs Elysée to a small cafe for lunch, and then onto the Louvre. We didn't go inside but the outside was stunning, and much much larger than I was expecting. Next stop was a walk along Le Seine and a boat tour on the river, which was incredible; I saw everything from le Musee d'Orsay to Le Notre Dame. The boat travelled under at least 6 different bridges linking the right and left banks, while house boats lined each stone covered wall. At the days end people filled every cafe in Paris eager to have a good seat to watch France play Germany in the world cup game, although tragically France was defeated.

My Second day is Paris was absolutely amazing.
We spent the day at the palace of Versailles, wandering through the massive gardens filled the statues and perfectly trimmed bushes and plants. In the late 1600s Louis XIV had the first part of the palace built right by his fathers hunting "house" because he was scared of Paris due to the riots at the time. The central part is covered in intricate gold trim both inside and out. Some rooms had spectacular murals painted on the ceilings while other even grander paintings hung on the walls. My favorite room was the mirrors room, one wall was lined with floor to ceiling windows while the opposite wall was covered in mirrors shaped exactly like the windows. When light would shine in through the windows it would be reflected back into the room by the mirrors. We also visited the other smaller palaces on the property, both were considered "country houses" although still quite large and luxurious. My favorite of the two was the slightly more rustic one, complete with goats, chickens, a pond or two and many small little spread out homes. The area was created so that Marie Antoinette could play "the farmer" so to speak. We travelled back on my cousins motorcycle, which I now realize is the only way to really see Paris. Everything I passed the day before while riding on the bus or in a car, seemed to no longer matter because I saw everything with an entirely new point of view. We took a route along side Le Seine that ran right next to the Eiffel Tower and Le Louvre, it was absolutely incredible and so exhilarating. 

I feel like I have seen so much of Paris and it has only been two days, I can't wait to see what comes next!

- S

1 comment:

  1. these pictures are awesome!
    -emme

    ReplyDelete